Monday 31 January 2011

Chris & Cosey again

Now spinning 'Trust' by these cute/grim pair, their 1989 album for Play It Again Sam. Apart from the quite splendid sleeve/typography of Steven Gilmour (forever and indelibly evoking Skinny Puppy), I'm struck by how C&C were a very sensual form of EBM; nothing new in terms of ideas, but then I considered other female fronted EBM acts from the mid-late 80s...and was stumped. The closest act I can grasp at is late period SPK, specifically Gold and Poison...but Graham 'Hollywood' Revell (well done to him) takes the limelight on the best tracks, either vocally (Sheer Naked Aggression) or with production duties on the instrumentals (most of which turned up in Zamia Lehmani). Anyone? I'm stuck. The odd feature doesn't count, nor do Gina X or Propaganda: not EBM, too synth-pop. I believe it wasn't until later that girls started fronting EBM groups...any New Beat groups? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment